Saturday, November 9, 2013

The Great Zoo Stampede 5K



I asked some random guy to take my photo next to the Zoo sign!


I woke up early this morning to drive to Waco for The Great Zoo Stampede 5K at the Cameron Park Zoo.  They actually had 3 distances to choose from - 1 mile, 5K and 10K.  The 1 milers and 10Kers started before the 5Kers, so I had lots of time to pace and wait.  I should have warmed up like I see all those "real" runners do.  Normally when I wog, even with Gus, I tend to walk the first 1/2 mile as a warm-up.  I should have done that this morning.  Instead, I spent the first 1/2 mile of the race "warming up."  Next time, I need to remind myself not to worry about what people might think (especially since I don't know any of them) and just do what I know will work for me.

The first 1/2 mile or so was inside the zoo, then we did an out and back plus a loop along the Brazos River, then back up the hill to the zoo entrance.

 
Since it was my first 5K with my Garmin Forerunner, I set it to lap every 0.25 miles and made it a goal to keep all my lap paces under 15 minutes/mile because I knew that if I did that, I would beat my old PR.  I kept 9 of the 13 laps under 15:00!  2 of those that were more than 15 were the first 1/2 mile.  My overall pace was 14:38! 
 
Loving the Garmin Forerunner 110!  And yep, that's Gus in the background.
 
 
I felt good the whole time - I started out near the back of the pack which helped because I didn't get passed much.  I got a little worried at one point when I got to a sign that said 10K because I was afraid I missed a turn somewhere.  Luckily, it was at a point where the 2 distances overlapped.
 
I've never been in a race that had the shoe timing chips!

Neon yellow and purple - color theme for today!
New PR - 45:46.6
FINISHED!
 
 
 
After the 5K, I decided to go check out the Zoo because I've heard great things about it.  It's a pretty nice little zoo, considering the fact that Waco is not a big city.
 
Ginny the Giraffe
 

All the No Smoking signs were alliterative!

 

And finally, I bought a new sign for my door when I was in College Station last week.

thanks and gig 'em!

No comments:

Post a Comment